If you have consumed sushi or other vertebrates you are very likely to have a worm stuck in your eyeball. It sounds disgusting, isn’t it?

 

Gnathostomiasis

Gnathostomiasis is a parasitic infection in humans caused by the larval state of roundworms in genus Gnathostoma. This disease is most commonly reported in Southeast Asia, but other parts of the world have been reported such cases. You are very likely to have this infection by eating any of these following foods:

  • undercooked or raw freshwater fish
  • eels
  • frogs
  • birds
  • reptiles

 

 

 

Signs and symptoms

Patients infected with gnathostomiasis can develop the following symptoms:

  • Migratory swelling under your skin
  • malaise
  • fever
  • nausea
  • vomiting
  • diarrhea
  • anorexia
  • abdominal or right upper quadrant pain

 

 

24 hours after ingestion of a worm. Once the worms enters the new human host, they migrate through other bodily parts such as the liver, the nerves, the spinal cord, they eye, causing their host to experience severe pain.  It is not yet known how gnathostomae can enter the eye, but they can are able to damage the sensory apparatus of the retina, causing vision loss or irreversible blindness. They are also known to enter the brain, causing nerve pain, paralysis, coma and death.

 

 

See the video below, in which Dr. Greger provides additional information about gnathostomiasis and shares real-life cases.

 

http://healthyviperson.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/7-early-warning-signs-worm-brain-eating-sushi-600x314.jpghttp://healthyviperson.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/7-early-warning-signs-worm-brain-eating-sushi-150x150.jpgadminHealth Tips
      If you have consumed sushi or other vertebrates you are very likely to have a worm stuck in your eyeball. It sounds disgusting, isn’t it?   Gnathostomiasis Gnathostomiasis is a parasitic infection in humans caused by the larval state of roundworms in genus Gnathostoma. This disease is most commonly reported in Southeast...