Prep Time: 25 min
Cook Time: 10 min
Ease of Preparation: Easy
Ingredients (use organic ingredients where available):
- 1 cup shelled fresh peas
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 2 cups cooked or canned cannelli beans
- 2 oranges, peeled, segmented, and coarsely chopped
- 3 scallions, minced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup silken tofu, well drained
- 2 tablespoons soy milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon snipped chives or 1 teaspoon dried chives
- 1 teaspoon sugar, or natural sweetener
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 2 ripe avocados
In a small saucepan of salted boiling water, blanch the peas until tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon, drain, and let cool. Add the carrot to the same saucepan and boil until tender, about 1 minute. Drain and cool.
In a medium bowl, combine the beans with the peas, carrot, orange pieces, and scallions. Add the vinegar and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
In a small bowl, combine the tofu, soy milk, lemon juice, parsley, chives, sugar, salt, pepper, and Tabasco. Blend well. Add to the salad and toss to combine well. Adjust the seasonings. Halve the avocados and remove the pits. Spoon the salad into the avocado halves, and serve.