Prep Time: 30 min
Cook Time: 30-40 min
Ease of Preparation: Moderate
Servings: makes 15 pies
Ingredients (use organic ingredients where available):
for the dough:
- 1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 fluid ounces (1/4 cup) warm water
- 3 3/8 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons rice flour or cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 egg, beaten
- 6 fluid ounces (3/4 cup) water
for the filling:
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 ounces (1 cup) cabbage, chopped
- 3 ounces (1 cup) green beans
- 1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 2 chicken breasts, boiled or broiled, and cut into small cubes
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg yolks, for brushing
Start by making the dough. In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast in the warm water. Stir in the flour, the rice flour or cornstarch, salt, melted butter, and beaten egg. Add the water gradually and knead for 5 to 6 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic. Cover the bowl with a damp cloth and set aside in a warm place for at least 1 hour until the dough has doubled in size.
In the meantime, make the filling. Heat the vegetable oil in a pan. Stir-fry the cabbage, green beans, onion, green pepper, and garlic until tender. Add the cooked chicken and season with white pepper and salt. Stir for a few minutes.
Preheat the oven to 400F. Divide the dough into 30 equal pieces. Roll out each piece on a lightly floured surface into 4-inch circles.
Place a tablespoon of the filling in the center of each circle. Brush the edges with egg yolk and cover each circle with another circle of dough. Pinch the edges together with a fork to seal. Brush the tops of each circle with egg yolk.
Bake for about 20-25 minutes until light brown.
Arrange in a serving dish and serve hot.