Chiles Jalapenos en Escabeche
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 10 min
Ease of Preparation: Moderate
Pickled Jalapeno Chiles
Ingredients (use organic ingredients where available):
- 1 white onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 5 bay leaves, toasted
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds, toasted
- 1 teaspoon whole black pepper, lightly toasted
- 2 sprigs oregano or 1 tablespoon toasted Mexican oregano
- 2 sprigs thyme or 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt or 3 tablespoons sea salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 quart apple cider vinegar
- 1 pint distilled white vinegar
- 1 cup cool water
- 1 pound whole fresh jalapeno chiles (about 18 depending on size), rinsed well and dried
Place all ingredients except the chiles and the water in a nonreactive pot and heat to boiling.
Remove from the heat and add the cool water.
Stir in the chiles and allow to cool to room temperature.
Place in a glass or other nonreactive container, seal well, and refrigerate for 48 hours.
Stir well, taste, and add additional salt if needed.
Store tightly covered in the refrigerator.
As prepared, each serving contains 10 calories, 0g total fat, 0mg cholesterol, 220mg sodium, 3g total carbohydrate and 0g protein.