Coctel de Camaron con Chipotle y Aguacate
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 8-10 min
Ease of Preparation: Moderate
Servings: 8 to 10
Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado and Chipotle Chiles
Ingredients (use organic ingredients where available):
- 2 teaspoons whole allspice
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorn
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 3 to 4 bay leaves
- 3 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 1/2 pounds shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup peeled, seeded, aned diced cucumber
- 1/2 cup diced red onion, rinsed
- 2 to 3 tablespoons finely chopped chipotle chiles en adobe
- 1 tablespoon juice from the chiles
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, finely chopped
- 3 ripe avocados, diced
- salt to taste
- lime juice to taste
Toast the allspice, peppercorns, coriander, and bay leaves to release the flavors and place all in a cheesecloth sachet to make later removal easier.
Bring 3 quarts of water to a boil; add the salt and the sachet of spices. Boil for 8 to 10 minutes.
On high heat, add the lime juice and the shrimp and bring back to a boil. Remove from heat and let sit 1 minute.
Drain immediately, reserving and cooling 3/4 cup of the cooking liquid. Discard the sachet.
Spread the shrimp out on a tray or large pan and refrigerate until cool.
Mix all of the ingredients (including the reserved cooking liquid) except the avocado, salt, and lime juice, and chill for 30 minutes to 2 hours.
Mix in the avocado and season with salt and lime juice. Serve immediately.
As prepared, each serving contains 220 calories, 13g total fat, 105mg cholesterol, 2050mg sodium, 12g total carbohydrate and 16g protein.